Summer is a fun time, but it's also a time when a lot of accidents happen. Here are some ways to keep your children safe this summer.
If you have a pool or plan to be around the water at all, then make sure you've got all security devices in place. All gates must be locked, and alarms installed, especially if you have non-swimming children at home.
Some general simple rules for children around any body of water are:
1. No running or horseplay near the pool.
2. Kids only swim with an adult watching them.
3. Make sure your children are taking swim lessons that teach, not only the basic strokes, but also survival strokes and basic water safety as well. All American Red Cross certified programs incorporate water safety into their swim lessons.
4. Of course, if lightening is possible, leave the water until the weather risk passes.
5. If your children are swimming in the ocean, follow the flag warnings and be cautious of the tides.
No matter how old we are or how careful we are, that sun will surprise us and we'll suffer a burn.
Some simple rules to keep your children safe in the sun are:
1. Always apply sun screen – even if it's a cloudy day.
2. Have your kids wear a t-shirt and hat if they have fair skin.
3. Make sure you have water proof sunblock on your kids if they're in the water.
4. Apply sunscreen often, especially if your kids have fair skin or are playing in water.
5. Provide your children with plenty of water, juice, or popsicles. Keep them hydrated to help prevent heat stroke.
Some simple rules to keep your children safe on their bikes are:
1. A helmet is a must. Ask any nurse in any Emergency Room and you'll find out why.
2. If you've got a child who daydreams, wear a whistle around your neck when you go on a bike ride together. If you see him or her being unsafe, you can blow the whistle. This is much more effective than trying to yell.
3. Look for bike paths in the woods. These allow your child to ride freely without the hazards of traffic. Pack a picnic lunch and make a day of it.
So many life-changing accidents are preventable. Make it a safe -- and a fun summer!
Nicole Dean invites you to(
(www.ShowKidstheFun.com )-- a free website filled with activities to make memories with your children www.ShowMomtheMoney.com-- a fun and informative resource for moms who want to make money from home.
Connected : Solutions By Email
our free monthly newsletter packed with motivational
thoughts, articles, tips, products and resources to help
you make your family's life healthier and fun. We help
you handle today's tough issues like healthier lifestyles,
child development, education, self-appreciation and
more. Receive Monthly Newsletter