Most people say the words, ‘I have to get Organized’ with a tone of complete drudgery in their voice. It’s viewed as a chore or something that needs to be tackled and fought through. Believe it or not, organizing can be fun!
Being organized is about being able to find and use the things that you do have, rather than just having to get rid of things. Another fallacy about organizing is that it’s just about having pretty, matching containers to put all of your stuff into.
That’s not the case at all, but you know what? It sure can be soothing and make you happy when things do in fact match, look good together and are attractive.
It’s not a requirement that you go out and spend a lot of money for things to be visually appealing and efficient. There have never been more organizing shows, magazines and books out there on the market than there are now which give you an unlimited source of ideas. Just because you see something in a magazine or store, it doesn’t mean that you have to buy that exact product. There are tons of creative alternatives.
1) Paint Cans: Rather than spending lots of money on round containers meant specifically for organizing, go to your local hardware store and buy empty metal paint cans. You can then decorate them using any number of techniques from stickers, to paint pens to hot gluing little items on the sides. You can use the paint pens to make ‘labels’ on the cans to indicate what each one holds. Cans like this have an unlimited array of uses. They can be as colorful and crazy or as simple and sleek as you want to make them. These are especially fun for kid’s rooms.
2) Shoe Boxes: Another great option for fun, easy and reasonable kid’s storage is to decorate shoe boxes. You can make it a fun project to do with your children. If they are involved with creating the boxes, chances are they will be more interested in using them. You can cover the boxes with contac-type paper which will not only be long-lasting but will help to reinforce the boxes as well. From there, the possibilities are endless. Don’t have kids? That’s OK, because this idea works for kids AND adults alike!
3) Colored Containers: Having trouble locating the Christmas or other winter holiday decorations among all of the brown cardboard boxes in your attic or basement? Not sure which one holds your scary Halloween witch or Jack O’Lantern? Right after each holiday, brightly colored storage boxes colored appropriately for the holiday are available for a small percentage of their original cost. You will save yourself tons of time, effort and energy by being able to see immediately where the Christmas boxes are, for example, by locating the bright red and green boxes.
4) Clear Jars: Tired of a packed, cluttered pantry where you’re always struggling to find things? Clear jars, either glass or plastic, in various sizes will turn any pantry from drab to fab! Everything from rice to sugar, flour, chocolate chips, salt, and all of your dry goods can be stored this way. With one glance, you will be able to see where everything is and even better, how much is left. No chance that you’ll reach for a box of something you need and be unpleasantly surprised when there’s only a tiny drop left.
5) Containerize: Does your bathroom look like a drugstore? Is it filled to the brim with cosmetics, medications, hair supplies and other miscellaneous debris? Containerize! In the short time it will take you to sort things into like categories, you can have a relaxing, orderly place. One box for nail stuff, one box for cosmetics, one box for hair accessories and so on. With the incredible selections out there these days, you’ll be able to find something that will compliment your bathroom decor and still allow you to have everything within reach.
6) Nice Hangers: Turn your closet into a boutique! With one super easy and fairly inexpensive trick, you can make your closet look like your favorite upscale store. Change out all of your hangers for matching wooden hangers. What was once expensive is now reasonable. Many of the big stores sell large packages of them at a great price. Another option is to do half matching wooden hangers and half of the satin covered puffy ones that are gentler on your delicates. It’s amazing what a big difference this will make in your closet’s appearance and functionality. It will also give you a chance to sort through what you have in your closet and have to wear.
While you’re at it, turn all of your hangers in the opposite direction from the normal way you would hang them. When you wear an item, turn it back the usual way and then you will have concrete evidence of exactly which clothes you’re actually wearing.
With just a little change in your thinking, you too can turn your organizing projects from Drab to Fab!
Get Organized Now is an amazing collection of 2,175 ideas, tips and techniques for organizing your home, your clutter, your time, your schedule, your money, your paper, your family and much more!